Don't block on catchall. I would guess you have blocked yourself and/or
some of the major email ip addresses that you receive from.

Make a list of the dictionary addresses they are sending to and only
block those by adding the sending ip's in the spammers.tab. I use a
255.255.255.255 mask on them in the spammers.tab, only blocking the one
ip.

Do this by logging any email addresses that receive email, and then copy
the dictionary ones to the address file for the filter to use. I ended
up with a list of around 400 email addresses. (This is for a personal
domain).

You need to be careful doing this by making sure that there is no reason
for anyone to send to that email address. Don't block things like info,
postmaster, admin, sales, and so on. Those are common ones that get
spammed that you don't want to block at this level. Remember that you
are blocking saying that if a computer (maybe your isp's email server)
sends to this address I never want to receive email from that ip address
again. Very heavy handed.

Blocking the dictionary names is not the way to stop all spam, but it
will stop that majority of it if you are targeted. It does take a day or
two to get all the email addresses that are to be blocked, but it is
worth it.

And then delete the spammers.tab once in a while, I try to do it once a
week or so.

I have a very similar setup. The dictionary attack is probably coming
from zombie machines, which come and go very frequently. One of the
things I noticed about the attacks is that the mail will start coming
in. I would receive several hundred in a matter of a few minutes, but
only 3-5 from each ip address. It would be a large number of ip
addresses sending the mail. Return addresses and all of that varied
throughout the messages. Then it would repeat a short time later, with
new ip addresses and email addresses.

The problem with dnsbl was that I would get hit with an attack, and then
in a day or two the ip's would be listed in the dnsbl. It appeared that
someone got together a zombie net, sent the spam, and then gets most of
the machines listed. The listings worked great at some point, but if you
were in the leading edge of the attack you could get thousands of emails
before the ip's are listed.

The advantage of the spammers.tab (the way I understand it) is that if
the connecting ip is listed then the connection is dropped without
receiving any data. When you have limited bandwidth you don't want to
receive the entire message before deciding to drop it.

Phillip