Hi Jeff,

> I suspect this makes little difference, but just in case you aren't
> aware of this, you can run ASSP on a different computer - it doesn't
> have to be the same system, and so Perl also does not need to be on
> your XMail system.  I'm not certain why you have feelings about
> running something in front of XMail if it will simply reduce the
> burden on your server (significantly) but we all have our reasons, I
> suppose!

The main reason for not wanting anything installed before XMail is
mainly because I've been having bad experiences with AVmailGate but
also because I'd much rather have XMail solve my problem. There must
be a way without having to install (and maintain) several tools.

> If you aren't processing much email, then I can't understand why you
> are getting the "server too busy" errors you mentioned in your first
> email. Something doesn't sound quite right.  Frankly, even before I
> was running ASSP, I was processing quite a bit of email (thousands a
> day, sometimes more, and thousands more a day of SPAM) and I never
> received an error like that on send.

That's odd. How many smtp threads were you running? I've set the
maximum to 16 now where 4 should be enough to handle all incoming mail
(easily!).

> I understood you to say that you were getting SMTP connect errors
> because XMail was taking too long to refuse invalid users.
> Logically, if you are receiving server too busy errors simply from
> refusing emails to non-valid users (as I read your first email to be
> saying), which would require an incredible volume of invalid email
> (or a very, very slow server), then the only way to prevent server
> overload would be to put something in front of XMail, since XMail is
> already refusing those emails that are causing the problem.  But I
> must have misunderstood given the direction the rest of this thread
> has taken.

The server won't break any speed records, that's true. Still, it
should be more than good enough for my purposes. XMail slows down
considerably when I use CustMapsList in server.tab. My guess is that
these services are very slow and XMail has to check 4 or 5 for each
and every email it receives. I guess all my smtp threads are busy
waiting for a reply from these anti-spam services and are unable to
allow other connections. Setting SMTP-RDNSCheck to "1" in my
server.tab also slows down mail processing in XMail.

> If it is simply an issue of SPAM in general, and you need to block
> it, and you don't want to use something like ASSP (for reasons of
> purity?), then your best bet is greylisting (as Rob Arends covers
> well), RBL blocking, and perhaps something like you mention with an
> automated addition to the spammers list as a last addition.

It's not the spam per se, I know how to get rid of that. It's because
99.5% of all incoming mail is for non-existent recipients. I don't
want to check them all to see if it's spam or not cause I already
*know* it's spam. I don't want to waste server resources and internet
bandwidth for something I already know I don't want. I just want to
get rid of those attempts from spammers to deliver spam to my server
as quickly and as easily as possible.

--
Henri.