Hi Henri -

>That's odd. How many smtp threads were you running? I've set the
>maximum to 16 now where 4 should be enough to handle all incoming mail
>(easily!).

Whatever the default is (is it MaxMTAOps? - that is set to 16 on my
system).  Running on FreeBSD on a Athlon XP running at 2 GHz, 1 gig of
RAM, fast SCSI hard drive.  Nothing too fancy.  Right now running ASSP
-> clamsmtp -> XMail (in this case on the same system) this handily
processes 4500 (or so) valid emails per day and refuses about the same
number of additional SPAMs.  Without the CLAMsmtp and ASSP this same
system processed almost that much email without me ever seeing the
problem you describe.

>It's not the spam per se, I know how to get rid of that. It's because
>99.5% of all incoming mail is for non-existent recipients. I don't
>want to check them all to see if it's spam or not cause I already
>*know* it's spam. I don't want to waste server resources and internet
>bandwidth for something I already know I don't want. I just want to
>get rid of those attempts from spammers to deliver spam to my server
>as quickly and as easily as possible.

Again, if the problem is email to invalid users, I don't see how any of
the other options you mentioned in XMail will necessarily help.  Perhaps
they will by using a different mechanism, like RBL check, that is faster
than XMails own determination of an invalid address, but that seems a
stretch to me.  ASSP is designed to close the SMTP session immediately
if it doesn't like an email for any reason specified by the admin, such
as an invalid address, so it directly addresses the problem you are having.

However, as also mentioned, it seems very strange to me that XMail would
be so slow on refusing invalid connections as to cause connection
failures from valid senders if you have a low volume of email - I don't
know XMail's mechanism behind this (perhaps someone else can clarify)
but I have never run into that problem, or heard of anyone else running
into that problem, unless they were getting a HUGE volume of SPAM (and
not specifically to invalid users).  So it might be worth looking into
WHY your installation is behaving this way, since it sounds fishy to
me.  Maybe 4 threads was too low?

Jeff