Hi guys,
I have just installed XMail 1.25 and am not seeing some odd behaviour from it.
 It has taken me a while to try and track down what is happening, but here it
is from what I can find.

The new server is put live and works extremely well.    After several hours, I
get alerts saying that the system memory is exhausted.    The memory footprint
of XMail stays consistent at about 85mb - the rest of the system memory is all
allocated to Buffers and Cache.   There is virtually no swap space used, but a
higher than expected load average on the system.

I have taken the server offline so there is no traffic running to it.  On a
reboot the memory is released, but as soon XMail is restarted the Cache and
Buffers climb back up and use all the memory again.  That would eliminate an
external influence on the server, and suggest something that is already on the
XMail queue.

I wiped all frozen spool from the server and restarted again.  Same as above,
the server released the memory but as soon as XMail started it started to grab
all free memory for Cache and Buffers.  This would suggest something that XMail
is still trying to process?

I trawled the spool queue and found several mails that appeared to be "stuck".
It would appear that XMail would repeatedly try and process these, it would not
as I could see spool files being created and removed as it goes thorough the
motions.   I have downloaded the spool queues and had a look through them
offline, it would appear that the mails that are causing an issue on this
server are coming from badly set up domains.   I ran these domains through
dnsstuff to see how they were set up.

One of the domains was set up with no MX record and no A records.  Even when
manually submitting test mail for this domain, it would be accepted and then
causes XMail to overreact.
The rest of the domains I saw on the spool queue had minor anomalies, but when
submitting manual mails via telnet for these domains it did not seem to cause
the same reaction as the domain with no zone information.

Obviously wiping the spool queue and rebuilding it from the source example
resolves the issue and the behaviour returns to normal.

Is this a known behaviour or "feature" in 1.25?  Has anyone else seen this
happening?  Is there any way of being able to stop this behaviour?

Registered in England and Wales. Registration Number: 3472519.
Registered Office: 1 The Green, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1PL, United Kingdom

This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material
intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified
that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or
distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is
strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful.

If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail, and delete this message. QSoft Consulting Ltd., its
subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or
incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, or responsible for
any delay in receipt. Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the
author only and do not necessarily represent the views of QSoft Consulting Ltd.