-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On=
 Behalf Of Davide Libenzi
Sent: 21 April 2008 21:54
To: xmail@xmailserver.org
Subject: [xmail] Re: XMailServer 1.25 Memory Footprint

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Vinny Wadding wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I have just installed XMail 1.25 and am not seeing some odd behaviour
> from it.   It has taken me a while to try and track down what is
> happening, but here it is from what I can find.
>
> The new server is put live and works extremely well.    After several
> hours, I get alerts saying that the system memory is exhausted.    The
> memory footprint of XMail stays consistent at about 85mb - the rest of
> the system memory is all allocated to Buffers and Cache.   There is
> virtually no swap space used, but a higher than expected load average on
> the system.
>
> I have taken the server offline so there is no traffic running to it.
> On a reboot the memory is released, but as soon XMail is restarted the
> Cache and Buffers climb back up and use all the memory again.  That
> would eliminate an external influence on the server, and suggest
> something that is already on the XMail queue.
>
> I wiped all frozen spool from the server and restarted again.  Same as
> above, the server released the memory but as soon as XMail started it
> started to grab all free memory for Cache and Buffers.  This would
> suggest something that XMail is still trying to process?
>
> I trawled the spool queue and found several mails that appeared to be
> "stuck".  It would appear that XMail would repeatedly try and process
> these, it would not as I could see spool files being created and removed
> as it goes thorough the motions.   I have downloaded the spool queues
> and had a look through them offline, it would appear that the mails that
> are causing an issue on this server are coming from badly set up
> domains. I ran these domains through dnsstuff to see how they were set up=
..

> One of the domains was set up with no MX record and no A records.  Even
> when manually submitting test mail for this domain, it would be accepted
> and then causes XMail to overreact.
> The rest of the domains I saw on the spool queue had minor anomalies,
> but when submitting manual mails via telnet for these domains it did not
> seem to cause the same reaction as the domain with no zone information.
>
> Obviously wiping the spool queue and rebuilding it from the source
> example resolves the issue and the behaviour returns to normal.
>
> Is this a known behaviour or "feature" in 1.25?  Has anyone else seen
> this happening?  Is there any way of being able to stop this behaviour?

I don't think so. The "eat all the server's memory" feature will not come
out till 1.26 :)
Which OS is that? Why don't you post one of your telnet transactions that
are creating problems? Talking about "some domains" and "some emails" is a
bit vague, since it does not allow anyone to replicate your box results.

This is my XMail BTW:

    VSZ   RSS
  18676  5184

- Davide

Damn, I was hoping I had missed an option in server.tab. ;-)

I only mentioned the memory usage above to clarify that I didn't look like =
it I was any leak in XMail itself.  Obviously, this is a new server and at =
the moment only test traffic is running though it before it goes fully live=
..  When that happens the memory usage will, no doubt, go up accordingly.

The server it is running on is a Fedora8 X64 Server, with 4gb of memory.  I=
 have two perl filters running.   A pre-smtp spf filter and an inbound/outb=
ound virus scan.

The telnet sessions to the server were just standard ones - no errors were =
reported at all.

The address I was seeing mails coming from and even when I submitted them d=
irectly were: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The mails were being sent to an account that does not exist on my server, s=
o would the process of trying to send the NDR have caused a loop given that=
 their dns seemed to be corrupt at the time?

I have checked the domain again and it looks like they have fixed what ever=
 issues there were having.
I have the reports from DNSstuff, I can send them direct to people or send =
to the list (not sure if I can mass mail attachments to people) if people a=
re interested in the errors from their domain.

I didn't mention the emails or domains specifically before, as it seemed ba=
d etiquette to just post it onto a forum and saying I was getting bad mails=
 from them.

Registered in England and Wales. Registration Number: 3472519.
Registered Office: 1 The Green, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1PL, United Kingdom

This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged mate=
rial intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are=
 notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, co=
pied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or at=
tachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful.

If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immedia=
tely by return e-mail, and delete this message. QSoft Consulting Ltd., its =
subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or =
incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, or responsible f=
or any delay in receipt. Any opinions expressed in this message are those o=
f the author only and do not necessarily represent the views of QSoft Consu=
lting Ltd.