Lasse,

On the rc_dec_speed PR, it appears to me the main change that might
speed things up is this unsigned comparison?
https://github.com/tukaani-project/xz-java/compare/master...rc_dec_speed#diff-8a1afbf1609c4b2d7813b299fce056f7ddd58a4a24ff02b01c2fdba38ff7fd0dL24-R23

Did you try out the Integer.compareUnsigned method as an alternative?
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/lang/Integer.html#compareUnsigned-int-int-

My observation historically has been that moving to 64bit operations is slower.

I will try to find some time to take a closer look at the PR you referenced.

Brett