Hello Kirk,

> Gasho
What is gasho?

> This struck me as a little doubtful, particularly the first part. 

I see, it is my way of putting it that made it sound doubtful. My view was that 
in the practice, one cannot do it purposely as being told be a teacher, or as 
one believes that is how it should be. In time, being "goal-less" would just be 
naturally.

> The Zen teachers that I have practiced with have put great emphasis on Shikan 
> Taza, neither goal nor no goals

And yet it is so easy for a student to settle into "neither goal nor no goals" 
goal. The mind is very tricky.

> Can't learn anything from others, or Master, unless we study and practice 
> humility

Agree, and this applies to any study and practice, not only meditation.

Siska
-----Original Message-----
From: "salik888" <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 21:23:37 
To: <[email protected]>
Reply-To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Zen] Zen, zen and Theravada Buddhism

Dear Siska

Gasho

"I don't think anyone can practise without goal (no matter how the teacher says 
not to, or even how one believes that he/she is not supposed to have any goal) 
until he deals with this."

This struck me as a little doubtful, particularly the first part.  While I have 
had no teacher tell me this.  The Zen teachers that I have practiced with have 
put great emphasis on Shikan Taza, neither goal nor no goals.  

Of course apologies if I have misunderstood, or perhaps coming into a thread 
late, etc . . .

My sense of goal no goal situation is really through faith and humility, two 
expressions that are a little tainted and loaded from our Western perceptions 
-- Christian.  But nevertheless, goal no goal through Zazen Shikan Taza -- 
humility, thus faith.

Can't learn anything from others, or Master, unless we study and practice 
humility.  

best wishes

Kirk
 


--- In [email protected], siska_cen@... wrote:
>
> Hello ZenDervish (salik?),
> 
> I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you were trying to explain to me even 
> after re-reading your post a few times.
> 
> Would you mind putting it differently?
> 
> One thing, I wasn't expressing any doubts in goal and practice in my reply to 
> Bill's post.
> 
> Siska
> -----Original Message-----
> From: "salik888" <novelidea8@...>
> Sender: [email protected]
> Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 21:53:47 
> To: <[email protected]>
> Reply-To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [Zen] Zen, zen and Theravada Buddhism
> 
> Dear Siska
> 
> In the manual, How To Cook Your Life, From the Kitchen to Enlightenment, 
> Eihei Dogen/Kosho Uchiyama Roshi, it begins with the seeming paradox of your 
> asserted doubts about goal and practice. 
> 
> 
> This, along with a variety of other distinctions (what is Zen? who is Zen? is 
> Zen Buddhism?  little zen, BIG ZEN, no Zen/zen, is an ongoing tendency of 
> those who circle the subject like carrion.  
> 
> I would suggest that, well, great emphasis (the practice of being emphatic is 
> just that, big emphasis) . . . I won't even dare to qualify much of this 
> other than say, well there it is . . . 
> 
> If you look at the history of Zen, the writers, scholars, poets, masters, 
> this is addressed almost continuously in some form or another.  
> 
> Then there are those who sit, no big deal.  
> 
> Zen has its equivalent of modern Texans, Big Hat, No Cattle.  
> 
> So, there is that.  
> 
> best wishes
> 
> ZenDervish
> 
> --- In [email protected], siska_cen@ wrote:
> >
> > Hi Bill,
> > 
> > > So...zen teachers usually (and properly) just tell a student that zazen 
> > > has no goal. What they don't say I guess is that if you are practicing 
> > > zen with a goal in mind, you'll eventually have to deal with that also.
> > 
> > I don't think anyone can practise without goal (no matter how the teacher 
> > says not to, or even how one believes that he/she is not supposed to have 
> > any goal) until he deals with this. 
> > 
> > Until then, either one practises with goal, or thinks he practises without 
> > goal.
> > 
> > Siska
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: "Bill!" <BillSmart@>
> > Sender: [email protected]
> > Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 00:58:20 
> > To: <[email protected]>
> > Reply-To: [email protected]
> > Subject: Re: [Zen] Zen, zen and Theravada Buddhism
> > 
> > ED,
> > 
> > You are persistent!  Do you have a profession in sales?
> > 
> > The reason you'll see a lot of zen teachings which say that zen or zazen 
> > has "no hope, expectation, reason or gain" - no goal, is that it anything 
> > like that would be an attachment.  Attachments cause suffering.  That's 
> > Buddhism 101.  So...zen teacher's don't want you to just add on another 
> > attachment.
> > 
> > I can only answer for myself.  When I began zen practice I certainly had a 
> > goal.  It was a very selfish goal.  That goal (attachment) certianly got me 
> > started and helped me persist in my early practice.  BUT at sometime I had 
> > to abandon that goal for at least 2 reasons: 1 - is that it was a goal that 
> > if achieved would be harmful to me, and 2 - is was just another attachment 
> > that I had to 'see through' and discard.  Actually in writing these I just 
> > found out they say the same thing.  The goal turned out to be just another 
> > illusion.
> > 
> > So...zen teachers usually (and properly) just tell a student that zazen has 
> > no goal.  What they don't say I guess is that if you are practicing zen 
> > with a goal in mind, you'll eventually have to deal with that also.
> > 
> > ...Bill!
> > 
> > --- In [email protected], "ED" <seacrofter001@> wrote:
> > >
> > > 
> > > 
> > > Bill!,
> > > 
> > > No goal for any specific zazen session.  OK.   Any hope, expectation,
> > > reason or gain for being involved in zazen, in general? Any hope,
> > > expectation, reason or gain for being involved with Zen?
> > > 
> > > Thanks, ED
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > --- In [email protected], "Bill!" <BillSmart@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > ED,
> > > >
> > > > Please read (again) Warner-Schwarner's comments below, especially this
> > > one:
> > > >
> > > > [Warner-Schwarner] The goal (or even "a goal") of zazen is not to
> > > clear your mind of thoughts. There is no goal of zazen.
> > > >
> > > >  ...Bill!
> > >
> >
>



Reply via email to