--- In [email protected], ChrisAustinLane <chris@...> wrote:
>
I do not particularly find that sitting improves my mood, either at the
time or
later.

OK.

  > It does generally allow me the space to know more clearly in my bones
what I am feeling.

That's one benefit.

> I sit because I am human, alive, a world honored one if you will. Same
as
tidying or listening to people who are talking or making sure I have my
train
ticket.


So, you are honoring the 'being' part of: "Being, doing and having."  I
like that. In our society, 'being' is much discounted in favor of
'doing' and 'having". Come to think of it, you have given me the 'right'
label for what I too enjoy about zazan - when I engage in it.


> The perspective of non-duality is not concerned with feeling good or
bad. It is
a different way to be.

That has certain benefits.

> Fitting the life i am living is not a concept, though i can't describe
such a
way (except perhaps face to face) without words and ideas.

Living a life that keeps being, doing and having in balance *is* a
concept - a good one, compatible with intrinsic human nature, IMO.

> If you want to feel good, I would not recommend zazen. If you want to
see living
as it is, good, bad, interesting, boring, but always changing and rich,
then
perhaps.

I started practicing zazen to ease my excessive emotional pain, and it
helped enormously in pacifying my mind.

> I must note, I struggle to sit every day. I don't like it, and much
prefer long
baths while I read and write email or else sleeping or talking with my
family,
but I keep running into my humanity and keep sitting.
Thanks, Chris Austin-Lane


Running into my humanity? What's that? Do you mean experiencing the
normal attachments and aversions that humans feel?     --ED






> In other word, doing zazen feels good, and/or you feel good in the
> inter-sitting period. Yes?
>
> --ED
>
> PS: "It fits life." is a concept; "Feeling good." is an experience.





> Another worthy koan, though I think a cleaner form would be:
>
> chris, if [you agree with Bill!'s formulation that] zen is "Just
> THIS!", why do zazen?
>
> (Bearing in mind that you do not do zazen, zazen does the sitter.).
>
> I continue to sit because I am human. I presume your experience of
> Zen training left you with a different perspective.
>
> It is pretty much why I apologize when I step on a person's foot, or
> why I put dirty laundry in the washing machine, or pick up trash that
> I walk by. It fits life.
>
> Cheers, Chris




>> On Tuesday, May 31, 2011, ED seacrofter001@... wrote:
>>
>> If Zen is: "Just THIS.", what is the reason or‚ motivation‚or
> objective or justification or drive for doing zazen?



Reply via email to