SIska,

In English some words do have negative or positive connotations.  For example 
this whole discussion started because of the word 'condemned'.  It has a 
negative connotation.  A similar word with a positive connotation might be 
'rewarded' or 'gifted' or 'blessed with'.

...Bill!

--- In [email protected], siska_cen@... wrote:
>
> Bill,
> 
> I guess every word is, intrinsically, free of any negative or positive 
> connotation. The connotations are mind's game. Having said that, all words 
> are heavy with connotations and we still have to be aware of this in our 
> daily conversations. 
> 
> Back to my phrase "we get what we deserve", it seems that the negative 
> connotation is because, as you said, it is usually used in negative way 
> although the word 'deserve' can be used in positive way.
> 
> Siska
> ------Original Message------
> From: Bill!
> Sender: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> ReplyTo: [email protected]
> Subject: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
> Sent: Sep 8, 2011 15:59
> 
> 0„2 Siska, Like I said, the phrase 'he got what he deserved' is indeed 
> usually used in a negative way, but the word 'deserve' itself carries neither 
> a negative or positive connotation. An example would be saying someone was 
> 'very deserving' of an award. ...Bill! --- In [email protected], 
> siska_cen@ wrote: > > Bill, > > It was a buddhist monk. I think he's british. 
> It's probably the general perception there. > > Siska > -----Original 
> Message----- > From: "Bill!" <BillSmart@> > Sender: [email protected] 
> > Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 02:18:34 > To: <[email protected]> > 
> Reply-To: [email protected] > Subject: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] 
> Supreme Vehicle > > Siska, > > I don't know what who told you that 'deserve' 
> implies punishment, but they are wrong. Depending on what you do you may 
> 'deserve' punishment, or you may 'deserve' a reward. > > It is true the 
> saying '...get what we deserve' usually implies punishment because it is 
> usually used in negative circumstances; but it does simply mean what you 
> originally thought, 'we reap what we sow'. > > ...Bill! > > --- In 
> [email protected], siska_cen@ wrote: > > > > Bill, > > > > English 
> being my second language, sometimes I'm not aware of connotation implied in 
> the words. It reminds me of once when I said, "I believe we all get what we 
> deserve". To me, it simply means we reap what we sow, be it good or bad. But 
> I was corrected because 'deserve' implies punishment, of which I wasn't 
> aware. > > > > This is a good reminder. Thank you. > > > > Siska > > 
> -----Original Message----- > > From: "Bill!" <BillSmart@> > > Sender: 
> [email protected] > > Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 08:16:51 > > To: 
> <[email protected]> > > Reply-To: [email protected] > > 
> Subject: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle > > > > Anthony, Mike 
> and Siska, > > > > Well you all used or continued to repeat the word 
> 'condemn' which implies it's a bad thing. You didn't say your were 'rewarded' 
> with the life of a fox... > > > > But I of all people know how
>




------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to