bill....... good explanation..i get it...merle

Mike,

I have always believed 'dharma' as used in this 3rd part of the Bodhisattva Vow
refers to 'the teachings of Buddha'.  I agree that teachings are thoughts, so I
do agree the use of the term 'dharma' in this vow refers to thoughts.

The 1st part of that vow refers to 'sentient beings'.  The 2nd part of that vow
refers to 'desires'.  The 4th and last part of that vow refers to 'the Buddha
way'.

I consider all of these thoughts, and I consider all of them illusions.

We can 'save all sentient beings', 'put an end to all desires', 'master all the
dharmas (teachings) and 'attain/accomplish the Buddha Way' all at one and the
same time by doing just one thing - dissolving the attachments we have to these
illusions by ceasing the arising of dualism which is the function of our human
intellect.

This doesn't mean we never have illusions or never use our intellect, or never
form attachments again.  We do.  But now we realize 'sentient beings',
'desires', 'dharmas' and the 'Buddha Way' are illusory and can better resist
forming attachments to them.  We grow stronger at keeping this balance through
continued practice - and that for me means zazen.

That's the way this all fits together for me.

...Bill!