Chris,

I can will myself to think about the things I want to think about.  There are
also a lot of times I think about things spontaneously and even  involuntarily.
 I can halt my thinking.  That's what zazen/shikantaza is.

I agree that thoughts are perceptions, but then again in my terminology
perceptions and illusions are pretty much the same thing.

...Bill!