Mike,

I think you indeed do well to distinguish that there are various and varying
conceptions and operational views of karma in different (Wisdom-) traditions,

Conceptions and views differ also in the different sects, and sub-sects, of
traditions.

Simply, karma originally means "action", not results of action.

There are three kinds of action: those of body, speech, and mind.

Actions -- those actions -- have results.

Positive actions create positive results; negative actions create negative
results; neutral actions create neutral results.

This is why moment-by-moment behavior is so important (so influential on
ourselves and others).  We create the conditions of our lives by what we do.

For the clarification of my view of this, I am indebted to The Rev. Nonin,
Roshi; Abbot and Head Teacher of Nebraska Zen Canter / Heartland Temple, Omaha,
NE, USA; a Soto Zen Buddhist Priest and Transmitted Dharma Heir of Dainin
Katagiri Roshi.

Katagiriri Roshi (1928 - 1990) was a first-generation Japanese Soto Priest in
USA, Founder and Abbot of Minnesota Zen Meditation Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA.

--Joe

> uerusuboyo@... wrote:
>
> Edgar, There is no confusion in what I said at all and it also depends on
> from which tradition you're talking about karma. As I've been taught, karma
> will indeed play itself out, but only as long as a person still identifies
> themselves with a self. Upon awakening to our Original Nature (which can
> happen at any time) karma is extinguished because where is the self for karma
> to attach to? Unless of course you're getting karma confused with the crazy
> notion that karma is fatalistic and/or deterministic which would make
> emancipation from karma impossible.<br/><br/>Here are a few snippets on the
> subject. There are many, many more out there if you care to do the
> research..<br/><br/>>He who believes in Karma does not condemn even the most
> corrupt, for they, too, have their chance to reform themselves ***at any
> moment*** (buddhanet.net)

Since basic nature transcends all duality and is ultimate, there is no one to
receive the effect, whether
 it is good or bad, and no one to whom any effect can apply. Cause and effect,
just like birth and death, lose their significance at the Enlightened level
because at the level of basic nature there is no one to receive the effect of
the Karma, whether it is good or bad. Therefore, at the extreme, when one is
Enlightened, the law of Karma is not applicable (angel-fire.com) In the
Vajrayana tradition, it is believed that the effects of negative past karma can
be "purified" through such practices as meditation on Vajrasattva.[91] The
performer of the action, after having purified the karma, does not experience
the negative results he or she otherwise would have.[92]<br/>(Wiki) The
Japanese Tendai/Pure Land teacher Genshin taught that Amida Buddha has the
power to destroy the karma that would otherwise bind one in samsara.