On 7/7/06, Dennis Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ok.. not exactly a ZFS native solution but...

As near as I can tell the ZFS filesystem has no way to backup easily to a
tape in the same way that ufsdump has served for years and years.

snip

  (2) perhaps I can use find and tar or cpio to backup small "tape drive
      capacity" sized chunks of the ZFS filesystem. Then dump these with
      some hand written notes or post-it notes to indicate what directory
      bits I have and what tape is needed to get the other bits.  Let me
      expound on this a tad :

Maybe you could take a look at the excellent Bacula software which
exist in the Blastwave repository. Ok, I admit that you won't get all
of the zfs filesystem information but as for backing up to tape it
works excellent. It can also split up on multiple tapes without any
problems. I've used it in production on a number of sites and so far
it has never failed me.

cheers,
Nickus