[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 06/27/2007 06:25:47 PM:

> The only thing I haven't found in zfs yet, is metadata etc info.
>
> The previous 'next best thing' in FS was of course ReiserFS (4). Reiser3
> was quite a nice thing, fast, journaled and all that, but Reiser4
> promised to bring all those things that we see emerging now, like cross
> FS search, any document, audio recording etc could be instantly
> searched. True there is google desktop search, trackerd and what not,
> but those are 'afterthoughts', not supported by the underlying FS.
>
> So does ZFS support features like metadata and such? or is that for zfs2?
:)

      Without getting too far into political/personal debates,  Reiser has
promised a lot and not done very well delivering for common case (nor does
he appear to be in a position to do so any time soon).  A lot can be said
for having the code refused from Linux core.

      I much prefer the route taken by apple on this -- spotlight is fs
agnostic and attaches to the kernel file update poller to know when to
queue files for index/delete. It also resides in userspace with pluggable
modules for extended file types (such as home brew files).  One side effect
of this design is that the indexing is completely pulled away from blocking
any type of fs write -- they can be queued as low priority as needed. With
this type of system and ZFS a pluggin could be created that indexes things
like extended attributes/compression ratio/etc.

      What real advantages do you see doing this _in_ the filesystem layer?
I can certainly see hooks being added where needed for the indexing system
to interface -- but the core indexing and searching code does not seem to
fit well in FS land.

-Wade