I'm reading the administration guide pdf and noticed that it claims that
at the moment ZFS does not support shrinking of the pool. Will this
feature be added in the future? Also expanding of raid-z is not yet
supported, will this also change?

One of the reasons i switched back from X/JFS to ReiserFS on my linux
box was that I couldn't shrink the FS ontop of my LVM, which was highly
annoying. Also sometimes you might wanna just remove a disk from your
array: Say you setup up a mirrored ZFS with 2 120gb disks. 4 years
later, you get some of those fancy 1tb disks, say 3 or 4 of em and
raid-z them. not only would those 120gb insignificant, but maybe they've
becom a liability, they are old, replacing them ins't that easy anymore,
who still sells disks that size, and why bother, if you have plenty of
space.

Oliver