On 6/20/07, mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/20/07, Paul Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I would not risk raidz on that many disks.  A nice compromise may be 14+2
> raidz2, which should perform nicely for your workload and be pretty reliable
> when the disks start to fail.
Would anyone on the list not recommend this setup? I could live with 2
drives being used for parity (or the "parity" concept)
Yes.  2 disks means when one fails, you've still got an extra.  In
raid 5 boxes, it's not uncommon with large arrays for one disk to die,
and when it's replaced, the stress on the other disks causes another
failure.  Then the array is toast.  I don't know if this is a problem
on ZFS... but they took the time to implement raidz2, so I'd suggest
it.

I would be able to reap the benefits of ZFS - self-healing, corrupted
file reconstruction (since it has some parity to read from) and should
have decent performance (obviously not smokin' since I am not
configuring this to try for the fastest possible)
And since you'll generally be doing full-stripe reads and writes, you
get good bandwidth anyways.

Will