Richard Elling wrote:
> There is also a long tail situation here, which is how I approached the
> problem at eng.Auburn.edu.  1% of the users will use > 90% of the space. For
> them, I had special places.  For everyone else, they were lumped into
> large-ish
> buckets.  A daily cron job easily identifies the 1% and we could proactively
> redistribute them, as needed.  Of course, quotas are also easily defeated
> and the more clever students played a fun game of hide-and-seek, but I
> digress.  There is more than one way to solve these allocation problems.

Ah I remember those games well and they are one of the reasons I'm now a
Solaris developer!  Though at Glasgow Uni's Comp Sci department it
wasn't disk quotas (peer pressure was used for us) but print quotas
which were much more fun to try and bypass and environmentally
responsible to quota in the first place.

--
Darren J Moffat