[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>       Very true,  you could even pay people to track down heavy users and
> bonk them on the head.  Why is everyone responding with alternate routes to
> a simple need?

For the simple reason that sometimes it is good to challenge existing
practice and try and find the real need rather than "I need X because
I've always done it using X".

We always used a vfstab and dfstab (or exportfs) file before and used a
separate software RAID and filesystem before too.

 > User quotas have been used in the past, and will be used in
> the future because they work (well), are simple, tied into many existing
> workflows/systems and very understandable for both end users and
> administrators.  You can come up with 100 other ways to accomplish psudo
> user quotas or end runs around the core issue (did we really have google
> space farming suggested -- we are reading a FS mailing list here?), but
> quotas are tested and well understood fixes to these problems.  Just
> because someone decided to call ZFS pool reservations quotas does not mean
> the need for real user quotas is gone.

Reservations in ZFS are quite different to Quotas, ZFS has both
concepts.  A reservation is a guaranteed minimum, a quota in ZFS is a
guaranteed maximum.

--
Darren J Moffat