[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 09/10/2007 11:40:16 AM:

> Richard Elling wrote:
> > There is also a long tail situation here, which is how I approached the
> > problem at eng.Auburn.edu.  1% of the users will use > 90% of the
space. For
> > them, I had special places.  For everyone else, they were lumped
> into large-ish
> > buckets.  A daily cron job easily identifies the 1% and we could
proactively
> > redistribute them, as needed.  Of course, quotas are also easily
defeated
> > and the more clever students played a fun game of hide-and-seek, but I
> > digress.  There is more than one way to solve these allocation
problems.

> Ah I remember those games well and they are one of the reasons I'm now a
> Solaris developer!  Though at Glasgow Uni's Comp Sci department it
> wasn't disk quotas (peer pressure was used for us) but print quotas
> which were much more fun to try and bypass and environmentally
> responsible to quota in the first place.

      Very true,  you could even pay people to track down heavy users and
bonk them on the head.  Why is everyone responding with alternate routes to
a simple need?  User quotas have been used in the past, and will be used in
the future because they work (well), are simple, tied into many existing
workflows/systems and very understandable for both end users and
administrators.  You can come up with 100 other ways to accomplish psudo
user quotas or end runs around the core issue (did we really have google
space farming suggested -- we are reading a FS mailing list here?), but
quotas are tested and well understood fixes to these problems.  Just
because someone decided to call ZFS pool reservations quotas does not mean
the need for real user quotas is gone.

User quotas are a KISS solution to space hogs.
Zpool quotas (really pool reservations) are not unless you can divvy up
data slices into small fs mounts and have no user overlap in the partition.
user quotas + zfs quotas > zfs quotas;

-Wade