Hi Calum,

heh, as it happens, I was tinkering with pygtk to see how difficult this
would be :)

Supposing I have a ZFS on my machine called root/export/home which is
mounted on /export/home. Then I have my home dir as /export/home/chris.
Say I only want to snapshot and backup /export/home/chris/Documents. I
can't create a snapshot of /export/home/chris/Documents as it is a
directory, I have to create a snapshot of the parent ZFS, in this case
/export/home/. So there isn't really the granularity that the attached
spec implies. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I just tried it and
it didn't work.

I've had a bit of a look at 'Time Machine' and I'd be more in favour of
that style of backup. Just back up everything so I don't have to think
about it. My feeling is that picking individual directories out just
causes confusion. Think of it this way: how much change is there on a
daily basis on your desktop/laptop? Those snapshots aren't going to grow
very quickly.

-Christian