Calum Benson wrote:
> Right, for Phase 0 the thinking was that you'd really have to manually
> set up whatever pools and filesystems you required first.  So in your
> example, you (or, perhaps, the Indiana installer) would have had to
> set up /export/home/chris/Documents as a ZFS filesystem in its own
> right before you could start taking snapshots of it.
>
> Were we to stick with this general design, in later phases, creating a
> new ZFS filesystem on the fly, and migrating the contents of the
> existing folder into to it, would hopefully happen behind the scenes
> when you selected that folder to be backed up.  (That could presumably
> be quite a long operation, though, for folders with large contents.)

Ah, I see. So, for phase 0, the 'Enable Automatic Snapshots' option
would only be available for/work for existing ZFSes. Then at some later
stage, create them on the fly.

> I have no problem looking at it from that angle if it turns out that's
> what people want-- much of the UI would be fairly similar.  But at the
> same time, I don't necessarily always expect OSX users' requirements
> to be the same as Solaris users' requirements-- I'd especially like to
> hear from people who are already using Tim's snapshot and backup
> services, to find out how they use it and what their needs are.

Yes, absolutely, OSX users' requirements probably vary wildly from those
of a Solaris users'. I guess I fall into what we might call the 'lazy'
category of user ;) I'm aware of Tim's tool, don't use it though.

-Christian