Very good points Rang, I'm going to add to them with a few of my own.

It should be possible to restore individual files rather than rolling back the
snapshot and I guess that's what was meant here.  I think the terminology in
the original post may not be too clear.

However, my impression reading this is that this is an application that runs
directly on the machine.  If so, we're missing an opportunity here.  Solaris
isn't really an end user OS, it's more of a server OS.  If you are going to
implement a nice GUI for restoring files from a snapshot, you really want that
to work over a network as well as on the local machine.

Ironically, if you're a windows user you already have that ability over the
network with Solaris.  Run ZFS and Samba and windows users can use Microsoft's
Shadow Copy Client to right-click any file and easily restore it from a
snapshot:  http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/shadowcopy.htm

What's really needed is a way to do that on Solaris and Linux machines over the
network.  Integration with Apple's time machine would be great too (especially
as it sounds like they may be making it compatible with ZFS), but unless
somebody high up in Sun speaks to Apple I don't see that happening.

So you need two UI's:

 - On the server side a simple UI is needed for creating and scheduling
snapshots of the filesystem.  Tim Foster's service would be a good starting
point for that: http://blogs.sun.com/timf/entry/zfs_automatic_for_the_people

 - On the client side a simple UI is needed that allows users to easily see
previous versions of files and folders, and either restore them in place or
copy old versions to a new location.

And the client side of this would want to be capable of running either locally
or over the network.

I think you could probably bodge this by virtue of the fact that you can browse
the files in a snapshot.  Performance would probably be slow however and I've
no doubt that far better performance could be achieved with hooks into ZFS
(which incidentally would benefit apple if they want to move time machine to
ZFS).

That kind of thing is way outside my experience however, but it would be good
if somebody at Sun could think about it.