hi there,

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 00:53 -0800, Ross wrote:
> It should be possible to restore individual files rather than rolling
> back the snapshot and I guess that's what was meant here.  I think the
> terminology in the original post may not be too clear.

Yep, I agree.

> However, my impression reading this is that this is an application
> that runs directly on the machine.  If so, we're missing an
> opportunity here.  Solaris isn't really an end user OS, it's more of a
> server OS.  If you are going to implement a nice GUI for restoring
> files from a snapshot, you really want that to work over a network as
> well as on the local machine.

Definitely - you can do that now over NFS. Here space/timf is a ZFS
dataset on my desktop machine, haiiro. On "spoon" a client machine, I
browse to haiiro's NFS shares:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] cd /net/haiiro/space/timf/.zfs
[EMAIL PROTECTED] cd snapshot
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ls -1
total 56
   3 backup-2007-09-25-16-21-05/
   3 backup-2007-09-25-16-49-42/
   3 backup-2007-09-25-16-53-37/
   3 backup-2007-09-25-17-35-07/
   .
   .
   etc.

Those are all snapshots taken on the filesystems on haiiro.

You can also mkdir inside a remote directories to create snapshots,
assuming you've been delegated that permission:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mkdir new
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] /usr/sbin/zfs list space/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]
NAME             USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
space/[EMAIL PROTECTED]      0      -  5,18G  -

>  - On the client side a simple UI is needed that allows users to
> easily see previous versions of files and folders, and either restore
> them in place or copy old versions to a new location.

And that's what this is all about - trying to find a cleaner way than
http://blogs.sun.com/timf/entry/zfs_on_your_desktop

to tie the client and server sides together.

        cheers,
                        tim
--
Tim Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc, Solaris Engineering Ops
http://blogs.sun.com/timf