can you guess? wrote:
>> can you run a database on RMS?
>>

> As well as you could on must Unix file systems.  And you've been able to do
> so for almost three decades now (whereas features like asynchronous and
> direct I/O are relative newcomers in the Unix environment).

Funny, I remember trying to help customers move their applications from
TOPS-20 to VMS, back in the early 1980s, and finding that the VMS I/O
capabilities were really badly lacking.  RMS was an abomination --
nothing but trouble, and another layer to keep you away from your data.
Of course, TOPS-20 isn't Unix; it's one of the things the original Unix
developers couldn't afford, so they had to try to write something that
would work for them and would run on hardware they *could* afford (the
other one was Multics of course).

--
David Dyer-Bennet, [EMAIL PROTECTED]; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info