On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Robert Milkowski wrote:

> Hello can,
>
> Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 6:57:43 PM, you wrote:
>
>>> Monday, December 10, 2007, 3:35:27 AM, you wrote:
>>>
>>> cyg>  and it
>>>
>>> cyg> That's the second time you've claimed that, so you'll really at
>>> cyg> least have to describe *how* you measured this even if the
>>> cyg> detailed results of those measurements may be lost in the mists of
>>> time.
>>>

>>> cyg> So far you don't really have much of a position to defend at
>>> cyg> all:  rather, you sound like a lot of the disgruntled TOPS users
>>> cyg> of that era.  Not that they didn't have good reasons to feel
>>> cyg> disgruntled - but they frequently weren't very careful about aiming
>>> their ire accurately.
>>>
>>> cyg> Given that RMS really was *capable* of coming very close to the
>>> cyg> performance capabilities of the underlying hardware, your
>>> cyg> allegations just don't ring true.  Not being able to jump into
>>>
>>> And where is your "proof" that it "was capable of coming very close to
>>> the..."?
>
> cyg> It's simple:  I *know* it, because I worked *with*, and *on*, it
> cyg> - for many years.  So when some bozo who worked with people with
> cyg> a major known chip on their shoulder over two decades ago comes
> cyg> along and knocks its capabilities, asking for specifics (not even
> cyg> hard evidence, just specific allegations which could be evaluated
> cyg> and if appropriate confronted) is hardly unreasonable.
>
> Bill, you openly criticize people (their work) who have worked on ZFS
> for years... not that there's anything wrong with that, just please
> realize that because you were working on it it doesn't mean it is/was
> perfect - just the same as with ZFS.
> I know, everyone loves their baby...
>
> Nevertheless just because you were working on and with it, it's not a
> proof. The person you were replaying to was also working with it (but
> not on it I guess). Not that I'm interested in such a proof. Just
> noticed that you're demanding some proof, while you are also just
> write some statements on its performance without any actual proof.
>

>>> Let me use your own words:
>>>
>>> "In other words, you've got nothing, but you'd like people to believe it's
>>> something.
>>>
>>> The phrase "Put up or shut up" comes to mind."
>>>
>>> Where are your proofs on some of your claims about ZFS?
>
> cyg> Well, aside from the fact that anyone with even half a clue
> cyg> knows what the effects of uncontrolled file fragmentation are on
> cyg> sequential access performance (and can even estimate those
> cyg> effects within moderately small error bounds if they know what
> cyg> the disk characteristics are and how bad the fragmentation is),
> cyg> if you're looking for additional evidence that even someone
> cyg> otherwise totally ignorant could appreciate there's the fact that
>
> I've never said there are not fragmentation problems with ZFS.
> Well, actually I've been hit by the issue in one environment.
> [...]

+1

Well said Robert!

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134  Timezone: US CDT
OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) Member - Apr 2005 to Mar 2007
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/ogb/ogb_2005-2007/
Graduate from "sugar-coating school"?  Sorry - I never attended! :)