On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Darren J Moffat wrote:

>> I'm not convinced that single bit flips are the common
>> failure mode for disks.  Most enterprise class disks already
>> have enough ECC to correct at least 8 bytes per block.
>
> and for consumer rather than enterprise  class disks ?

You are assuming that the ECC used for "consumer" disks is
substantially different than that used for "enterprise" disks.  That
is likely not the case since ECC is provided by a chip which costs a
few dollars.  The only reason to use a lesser grade algorithm would be
to save a small bit of storage space.

Consumer disks use essentially the same media as enterprise disks.

Consumer disks store a higher bit density on similar media.

Consumer disks have less precise/consistent head controllers than
enterprise disks.

Consumer disks are less well-specified than enterprise disks.

Due to the higher bit density we can expect more wrong bits to be read
since we are pushing the media harder.  Due to less consistent head
controllers we can expect more incidences of reading or writing the
wrong track or writing something which can't be read.  Consumer disks
are often used in an environment where they may be physically
disturbed while they are writing or reading the data.  Enterprise
disks are usually used in very stable environments.

The upshot of this is that we can expect more unrecoverable errors,
but it seems unlikely that there will be more "single bit" errors
recoverable at the ZFS level.

Bob