Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Nathan Kroenert wrote:
>>
>> It does seem that some of us are getting a little caught up in disks
>> and their magnificence in what they write to the platter and read
>> back, and overlooking the potential value of a simple (though
>> potentially computationally expensive) circus trick, which might, just
>> might, make your broken 1TB archive useful again...
>
> The circus trick can be handled via a user-contributed utility.  In
> fact, people can compete with their various repair utilities.  There are
> only 1048576 1-bit permuations to try, and then the various two-bit
> permutations can be tried.

That does not sound 'easy', and I consider that ZFS should be... :) and
IMO it's something that should really be built in, not attacked with an
addon.

I had (as did Jeff in his initial response) considered that we only need
to actually try to flip 128KB worth of bits once... That many flips
means that we in a way 'processing' some 128GB in the worse case when
re-generating checksums.  Internal to a CPU, depending on Cache
Aliasing, competing workloads, threadedness, etc, this could be
dramatically variable... something I guess the ZFS team would want to
keep out of the 'standard' filesystem operation... hm. :\

>> I don't think it's a good idea for us to assume that it's OK to 'leave
>> out' potential goodness for the masses that want to use ZFS in
>> non-enterprise environments like laptops / home PC's, or use commodity
>> components in conjunction with the Big Stuff... (Like white box PC's
>> connected to an EMC or HDS box... )
>
> It seems that "goodness for the masses" has not been left out.  The
> forthcoming ability to request duplicate ZFS blocks is very good news
> indeed.  We are entering an age where the entry level SATA disk is 1TB
> and users have more space than they know what to do with.  A little
> replication gives these users something useful to do with their new disk
> while avoiding the need for unreliable "circus tricks" to recover data.
> ZFS goes far beyond MS-DOS's "recover" command (which should have been
> called "destroy").

I never have enough space on my laptop... I guess I'm a freak.

But - I am sure that we are *both* right for some subsets of ZFS users,
and that the more choice we have built into the filesystem, the better.

Thanks again for the comments!

Nathan.