On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Nathan Kroenert wrote:

> It does seem that some of us are getting a little caught up in disks and
> their magnificence in what they write to the platter and read back, and
> overlooking the potential value of a simple (though potentially
> computationally expensive) circus trick, which might, just might, make your
> broken 1TB archive useful again...

The circus trick can be handled via a user-contributed utility.  In
fact, people can compete with their various repair utilities.  There
are only 1048576 1-bit permuations to try, and then the various
two-bit permutations can be tried.

> I don't think it's a good idea for us to assume that it's OK to 'leave out'
> potential goodness for the masses that want to use ZFS in non-enterprise
> environments like laptops / home PC's, or use commodity components in
> conjunction with the Big Stuff... (Like white box PC's connected to an EMC or
> HDS box... )

It seems that "goodness for the masses" has not been left out.  The
forthcoming ability to request duplicate ZFS blocks is very good news
indeed.  We are entering an age where the entry level SATA disk is 1TB
and users have more space than they know what to do with.  A little
replication gives these users something useful to do with their new
disk while avoiding the need for unreliable "circus tricks" to recover
data.  ZFS goes far beyond MS-DOS's "recover" command (which should
have been called "destroy").

Bob