On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Nathan Kroenert wrote:
>> The circus trick can be handled via a user-contributed utility.  In fact,
>> people can compete with their various repair utilities.  There are only
>> 1048576 1-bit permuations to try, and then the various two-bit permutations
>> can be tried.
>
> That does not sound 'easy', and I consider that ZFS should be... :) and IMO
> it's something that should really be built in, not attacked with an addon.

There are several reasons why this sort of thing should not be in ZFS
itself.  A big reason is that if it is in ZFS itself, it can only be
updated via an OS patch or upgrade, along with a required reboot.  If
it is in a utility, it can be downloaded and used as the user sees fit
without any additional disruption to the system.  While some errors
are random, others follow well defined patterns, so it may be that one
utility is better than another or that user-provided options can help
achieve success faster.

Bob