Hi Bob,
If I was willing to do that I would simply build a pool from file-
based storage being n-ISO images.
It would involve the following steps
1. create blank ISO images of the size of your media
2. zpool create wormyz raidz2 image1.iso image2.iso image3.iso ...
3. Move your data to the pool
4. export the pool
5. burn the media

If you need to recover, copy the data from the device using dd
conv=sync,noerror
The "problem" here is that by putting the data away from your machine,
you loose the chance to "scrub"
it on a regular basis, i.e. there is always the risk of silent
corruption.

I am not an expert, but the MTTDL is in tousands of years when using
raidz2 with a hot-spare and regular scrubbing.
If you add zpool send/receive and geographically dislocated severs,
this may be better than optical media, because you detect the errors
early.
Hope this helps,
        ralf
Am 21.04.2008 um 23:18 schrieb [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:20:15 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Bob Friesenhahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [zfs-discuss] ZFS for write-only media?
> To: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
>
> Are there any plans to support ZFS for write-only media such as
> optical storage?  It seems that if mirroring or even zraid is used
> that ZFS would be a good basis for long term archival storage.
>
> Has this been considered?  I expect that it is possible today by using
> files as the underlying media and then copying those individual files
> to optical storage.
>
> Bob
  • ... Bob Friesenhahn
    • ... Dana H. Myers
      • ... Bob Friesenhahn
        • ... Mark A. Carlson
          • ... Bob Friesenhahn
            • ... Mark A. Carlson
              • ... Bob Friesenhahn
                • ... Gregory Matthews
    • ... Scott
    • ... Ralf Bertling
      • ... Bob Friesenhahn
        • ... Jonathan Loran
          • ... Bob Friesenhahn
            • ... Jonathan Loran
              • ... Bob Friesenhahn
      • ... Peter Brouwer, Principal Storage Architect, Office of the Chief Technologist, Sun MicroSystems