Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> The "problem" here is that by putting the data away from your machine,
>> you loose the chance to "scrub"
>> it on a regular basis, i.e. there is always the risk of silent
>> corruption.
>>

> Running a scrub is pointless since the media is not writeable. :-)

But that's the point.  You can't correct silent errors on write once
media because you can't write the repair.

I think it makes more sense to save a checksum of the entire CD/DVD/etc.
media separately, so you can check the validity of your data that way,
instead of using ZFS on WORM media.

Jon
  • ... Dana H. Myers
    • ... Bob Friesenhahn
      • ... Mark A. Carlson
        • ... Bob Friesenhahn
          • ... Mark A. Carlson
            • ... Bob Friesenhahn
              • ... Gregory Matthews
  • ... Scott
  • ... Ralf Bertling
    • ... Bob Friesenhahn
      • ... Jonathan Loran
        • ... Bob Friesenhahn
          • ... Jonathan Loran
            • ... Bob Friesenhahn
    • ... Peter Brouwer, Principal Storage Architect, Office of the Chief Technologist, Sun MicroSystems