Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Jonathan Loran wrote:
>>>
>> But that's the point.  You can't correct silent errors on write once
>> media because you can't write the repair.
>
> Yes, you can correct the error (at time of read) due to having both
> redundant media, and redundant blocks. That is a normal function of
> ZFS.  It just not possible to correct the failed block on the media by
> re-writing it or moving its data to a new location.

I suppose with ditto blocks, this has some merrit.  Someone needs to
characterize how errors probigate on different types of WORM media.  perhaps
this has already been done.  In my experience, when DVD-R go south, they really
go bad at once.  Not a lot of small bit errors.  But a full analysis would be
good.  Probably it would make the most sence to write mirrored WORM disks with
different technology to hedge your bets.

Jon

      • ... Mark A. Carlson
        • ... Bob Friesenhahn
          • ... Mark A. Carlson
            • ... Bob Friesenhahn
              • ... Gregory Matthews
  • ... Scott
  • ... Ralf Bertling
    • ... Bob Friesenhahn
      • ... Jonathan Loran
        • ... Bob Friesenhahn
          • ... Jonathan Loran
            • ... Bob Friesenhahn
    • ... Peter Brouwer, Principal Storage Architect, Office of the Chief Technologist, Sun MicroSystems