> So just to verify, you never managed to get more than
> 10 MBytes/sec across the link due to the network only
> giving you a 100 Mbps connection?

Hi Simon,

I'll try to clear this up. Sorry for the confusion.

The server the Solaris M2N-E is replacing had 2 NICs. When I removed the
physical box, I left the cat5 cables laying on the desk. When I plugged up the
Solaris box, I must have plugged in the cable that ended in a 10/100 switch.
This caused Solaris to boot up and negotiate a 100Mbit full duplex link. After
reading your post today, I looked at the cable and realized that I'd plugged in
the wrong cable. After a move and a reboot, the box came up in 1000Mbit full
duplex.

Solaris side fixed.

The initial problem that started this whole thread was that I wasn't able to
get above 342KiB/s (2.80 Mbps) when writing to the ZFS CIFS share from WinXP. I
was able to achieve better speeds with FTP and HTTP. After I fixed the cable
snafu on the Solaris box, I attempted to re-create the read/write speed tests
to see if the slow write issue was resolved. It was not. After some more
troubleshooting, the poor write speed performance turned out to be because of
an issue with the second NIC on the WinXP motherboard. Once I switched the
cable to the primary NIC on that mobo, I was able to achieve around 8.9KiB/s
(74.66 Mbps) write speeds from the WinXP box to the Solaris ZFS CIFS share.

WinXP to Solaris ZFS, slow write speed fixed.

I hope that answers your question. I'm not sure though.

I don't think I can get much higher than the speed I have now. With overhead,
and other network traffic, I believe that 75-85Mpbs is the most I can really
hope to achieve where almost all the devices talk at 100Mbit. I have re-read
your question a few times.

I just tested and found that with 2 WinXP boxes and the PS3 pulling data from
the Solaris ZFS share, I get 20.3MiB/s or 170.29 Mbps total output from the
Solaris box. I'm sure that if another one of my networked devices (PS3 doesn't
count) could talk at 1000Mbits/s I'd get much greater speeds.

As it stands now, the linux box is a laptop (5400rpm drive) and the WinXP box
has a SATA 1.5Gbit/s drive. As I said before, they both connect at 100Mbit.
Those are probably the limiting factors in cresting 10MiB/s plus. Although,
even on an empty network I believe that 11.5 or so is the most you'd be able to
get on a 100Mbit link.

Of course, I've not talked network in a bit, so maybe I have my terms mixed.
I've been trying to review external references just to make sure I'm speaking
in the correct terms. Feel free to let me know if I have something wrong.

Thanks!

rick