Simon,

> The obvious thing that is wrong is the network being
> recognised as 100Mbps and not 1000. Hopefully, the
> read/write speeds will fix themselves once the
> network problem is fixed.

You are absolutely correct. My troubleshooting skills for things of this nature
are pretty bad. I should have started there.

> As it's the same cable you had working previously at
> 1000Mbps on your other computer and the same switch,
> I suppose, then it all points to problems with the
> network on the solaris box.

There was a very small problem. My old mobo has 2 nics. I cabled up the wrong
cable. I would very much like to pretend something, anything, otherwise. But
the truth of it is that I was plugged in with the wrong cable.

> But I suppose this won't change anything. To see the
> speed negotiated, try:
>
> # dladm show-dev
> LINK            STATE  SPEED    DUPLEX
> nge0            up     1000Mb   full
> #

# dladm show-dev
LINK            STATE  SPEED    DUPLEX
nge0            up     1000Mb   full

I think I'm back in business now. I need to validate write/read speeds again.

> Also I would investigate the possibility of getting
> the latest BIOS, unless you know of a good reason not
> to. This might be a bug in the BIOS.

I'm paranoid about flashing the BIOS. I just don't want to introduce a new
issue. However, I should really do just that. I'll have to look into how to
boot off a thumb drive to do it. It appears that the 1401 BIOS was just
released on 2008-04-24.

> Lastly, could there be a bug in the build 86
> regarding the nge driver?

So far, looks like something I did. :(

> That's all I can think of, good luck! :)

Thanks! I'll check throughput numbers and post back here with the results.

rick