Hi Rick,

I have the same problem as you. (sorry for my english)
I have installed the same OS on a gigabyte mother board. I wanted to make a NAS
with the nice ZFS.
First I tried the new smb kernel implementation: file navigation (on windows)
and  streaming were too slow. File transfer was acceptable. I thought that was
because of the young kernel implementation.
So I removed every configuration related to it and I tried samba.
Samba brought significant boost in file navigation. (I was happy) but streaming
were even worst and file transfer were weird: when I transfer 2 files the speed
were around 10MB/s and for one file the speed is around 100Kb/s ...
I clearly, the wires are able to transfer at full speed, clearly ZFS is able to
undertake it (and much more I think) but something weird is going on.
At that point, I was going to reinstall UBUNTU and forget about solaris and ZFS
but your story gave me hope. I'm up to again to find out what's going on.