> If you're doing anything with CIFS and performance,
> you'll want this
> fix:
>
> 6686647 smbsrv scalability impacted by memory
> management issues
>
> Which was putback into build 89 of nevada.
>
> - Eric

Thank you Eric. This is the second time someone has mentioned this to me. I
imagine it's a significant change. When build 89 is released, I'll be sure to
upgrade.

As for the speed issue, the bottom line is that I discovered a faulty NIC on
the WinXP box. Through gathering performance results, I found that the WinXP
box performance on read was less than a WinXP vm! After swapping out cables and
using different ports on the switch I found no change. However, after swapping
NICs on the mobo I gained a huge increase in write speed. I'm not sure why only
CIFS had issue, probably because it's one of the chattiest protocols ever, but
that's just a random jab and has no basis in fact. :)

On to the results:
Stats are taken with System Monitor (v2.18.2)  on Solaris. I've verified the
stats are similar, if not identical, on the WinXP virtual machine and on the
linux box through conky.

All boxes are 100fdx. The PS3 is 1000fdx. They are all plugged into the same
swtich (Netgear G5605 v2, 5 port 10/100/1000). File transfers are with a 4GB
file for SMB and FTP. The HTTP transfer is with a 1.6GB file.

WinXP(1) = virtual machine on the linux box
WinXP(2) = physical machine

WinXP(1):
FTP
Not tested
HTTP
Read:   500KiB/s - 2.7MiB/s
SMB
Read:    1.1MiB/s - 3.4MiB/s
Write:   2.2MiB/s - 3.4MiB/s

WinXP(2):
FTP
Read:    4.2MiB/s - 9.9MiB/s
Write:   1.9MiB/s - 6.0MiB/s
HTTP
Read:    2.4MiB/s - 6.5MiB/s
SMB
Read:    7.6MiB/s - 8.3MiB/s
Write:   7.9MiB/s - 8.9MiB/s

Linux (100fdx)
FTP
Read:    1.8MiB/s - 3.7MiB/s
Write:   3.6MiB/s - 3.7MiB/s
HTTP
Read:     2.5MiB/s - 4MiB/s

PS3 (1000fdx):
DLNA
Read:    9.4MiB/s

The end result is that I have 63.75 Mbps - 74.66 Mbps read/write via CIFS. Not
too bad considering it's really just a 100Mbit network link.

Sorry to spam. I thought for sure that the high read/write speeds for FTP and
HTTP showed that the issue was with CIFS. I'm still kind of baffled as to why
CIFS was so terrible for the write speed only when, in the end, the issue was
the NIC.

Thanks to those that helped.
rick