On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:01:36PM -0400, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On May 28, 2008, at 05:11, James Andrewartha wrote:
>
> That's not a huge price difference when building a server - thanks
> for the pointer.  Are there any 'gotchas' the list can offer when
> using a SAS card with SATA drives?   I've been told that SATA drives
> can have a lower MTBF than SAS drives (by a guy working QA for
> BigDriveCo), but ZFS helps keep the I in RAID.

I'm running 3 (used to be 4, but I repurposed that drive) 500GB Seagate
SATA disks on an LSI SAS3080X in a RAIDZ1 pool in my Ultra80 and it's
been working great.  The only 'gothca' that I can think of is the loss
of the ability to run more than one drive per channel, but I guess I can
live with that. :)

I got my SAS3080X for, uhm, let's see, including shipping and the SAS to
4 cable SATA breakout cable, it was less than $100 off of ebay, probably
closer to $80.

I don't know prices on the PCIe version of those cards on ebay though.
Probably more expensive as everyone wants PCIe these days.

-brian
--
"Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta
tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of