SS wrote:
> Timely discussion. I too am trying to build a stable yet inexpensive storage
> server for my home lab mostly for playing in the VM world as well as general
> data storage. I've considered several options ranging from the simple linux
> based NAS appliances to older EMC SANs. I finally decided to build an
> NFS/CIFS/iSCSI/(even FC target?) box going the opensolaris route with ZFS.
> What I'm trying to decide on is the appropriate hardware to build the storage
> server. I have:
>
> - A couple of Dell Pentium 4 boxes
> - A couple of old Ultra SPARC (ultra80 and ultra 10)
> - D1000 array (but alas with old 36G drives)
>
> Other options are that I build a whitebox or buy a new PowerEdge or Sun X2200
> etc use some kind of DAS such as Dell MD1000 (?) and use this box as the one
> and the only system (i.e. storage for PCs and my VM host). Of course this
> will be an expensive option.
>
> Any recommendations on a decent setup for my purposes as well as a good SATA
> DAS? I haven't build a PC for at least 4 years so I'm not up to date on the
> processors, mobos, controller cards etc.
>
> PS. Question for the gentleman who bought the external SATA disk array...how
> are you planning to connect it to the server

Well, a couple of things:

(1) we need to know more about your expected performance and use
requirements before making a real recommendation

(2) You want a 64-bit CPU.  So that probably rules out your P4 machines,
unless they were extremely late-model P4s with the EM64T features.
Given that file-serving alone is relatively low-CPU, you can get away
with practically any 64-bit capable CPU made in the last 4 years.

(3) As much as I love them, the ultra80 & ultra10 are boat anchors now.
Way too slow, way too power hungry, and not really useful.

(4)  High capacity on a budget means SATA drives.  You can use small
SCSI drives for certain performance-sensitive applications and not get
creamed in the pocketbook (the D1000 is kinda interesting for this), but
you need some form of SATA to get the big GB/$ benefits.

(5) external cases/enclosures are expensive, but nice. The bang-for-buck
is in the "workgroup server" case, which (besides being a PC case)
generally holds 8-10 drives for about $300 or so.

There's lots of not-quite-optimal-but-still-really-good solutions out
there on the used/recycled market, so if you don't need something
perfect (or a warranty), the price is really nice.

If the solution you really want is an external disk enclosure hooked to
some sort of a driver/head machine, check out used/off-lease IBM or HP
opteron workstations, which tend to go for $500 or so, loaded.  Sun v20z
and IBM e326m  1U rackmount servers are in the same price range.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support