Bob said:
> SATA "enterprise" drives seem more like a gimmick than anything else.
> Perhaps the warranty is longer and they include a tiny bit more smarts
> in the firmware.

WD supply enterprise class SATA drives whose prevailing feature is a low
TLER (RE series). This makes the drive report a failed block quickly, rather
than trying to recover the blocks for minutes. In a consumer PC, the drive's
heroic attempts can save the day. In a raid setup, however, this means that
a drive will lock a raided fs until it times out. I would rather have the
drive report as failed and let the raid take care of recovering the data.

Even if there were no further technical reasons, this feature alone is a
great benefit for using these SATA drives in the enterprise

justin