> A cleanly written filesystem provides clean and abstract interfaces to do
> anything you like with the filesystem, it's content and metadata. In such an
> environment, there is no need for a utility that knows the disk layout (like
> ufsdump does).

I'd like to take a backup of a live filesystem without modifying the last
accessed time.  Can star do this?  Cos otherwise it has a serious failing
as far as I am concerned.  I don't blame star for this, but I observe that
(ufs)dump can do this.

In case you are wondering why I would care - it is because we moderately
regularly have to deal with hacking incidents.  And there is nothing more
fustrating than having evidence wiped by a backup solution.  Especially if
this means that we can't be sure how far back to go in the backups to get
a guaranteed clean copy.

For _my_ purposes I'd be happy with zfs send/receive, if only it was
guaranteed to be compatible between versions.  I agree that the inability
to extract single files is an irritation - I am not sure why this is
anything more than an implementation detail, but I haven't gone into it in
depth.

> J?rg

Julian
--
Julian King
Computer Officer, University of Cambridge, Unix Support