And one more note: while I could offline both "fake drives" in OpenSolaris
tests,
the Solaris 10u6 box refused to offline the second drive since it left the pool
without parity.

{code}
[r...@t2k1 /]# zpool status test
  pool: test
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        test           ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2       ONLINE       0     0     0
            /pool/rf1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            /pool/rf2  ONLINE       0     0     0
            /pool/rf3  ONLINE       0     0     0
            /pool/rf4  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
[r...@t2k1 /]# zpool offline test /pool/rf1
[r...@t2k1 /]# zpool offline test /pool/rf2
cannot offline /pool/rf2: no valid replicas
{code}

There is no force option in either Solaris nor OpenSolaris:

{code}
[r...@t2k1 /]# zpool offline -f test /pool/rf2
invalid option 'f'
usage:
        offline [-t] <pool> <device> ...
{code}

So this method is okay when used with file-based fake drives (which can be
unlinked and scrubbed), but needs some more trickery reserarch in supported
Solaris (i.e. if I tried to use this trick for resizing a raidz2 array of 4
disks).

//Jim