Hi,

after working for 1 month with ZFS on 2 external USB drives I have experienced,
that the all new zfs filesystem is the most unreliable FS I have ever seen.

Since working with the zfs, I have lost datas from:

1 80 GB external Drive
1 1 Terrabyte external Drive

It is a shame, that zfs has no filesystem management tools for repairing e. g.
being able to repair those errors:

       NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        usbhdd1     ONLINE       0     0     8
          c3t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     8

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

        usbhdd1: 0x0

It is indeed very disappointing that moving USB zpools between computers ends
in 90 % with a massive loss of data.

This is to the not reliable working command zfs umount <poolname>, even if the
output of mount shows you, that the pool is no longer mounted and ist removed
from mntab.

It works only 1 or 2 times, but removing the device back to the other machine,
the pool won't be either recognized at all or the error mentioned above occurs.

Or suddenly you'll find that message inside your messages: "Fault tolerance of
the pool may be compromised."

However, I just want to state a warning, that ZFS is far from being that what
it is promising, and so far from my sum of experience I can't recommend at all
to use zfs on a professional system.

Regards,

Dave.