I didn't meant using slog for the root pool. I meant using the slog for a data
pool. Where the data pool consists of (rotating) hard disk and complement them
with a ssd based slog. But instead of a dedicated ssd for the slog I want the
root pool share the ssd with the slog. Both can mirrored to a second ssd.
I think that in this scenario my initial concern remains. Since you cannot
remove an slog from a pool, if you want to move the pool or something bad
happens you're in trouble.

Richard I'm under the impression that most current ssd's have a dram buffer.
Some are used only for reading some are also used for writing. I'm pretty sure
the sun LogZilla devices (the stec zeus) have a dram write buffer. Some have a
supercap to flush the caches others don't
I'm trying to compile some guidelines regarding write caching, ssd and zfs. I
don't like the posts like "I can't import my pool" "my pool went down the
niagara falls" etc. So in order to prevent more of these stories I think it's
important to get it in the open if write caching can be enabled on ssd's (full
disk and slice usage) I'm really looking for a conclusive test to determine
wether or not it can be enabled.

Regards,

Frederik