While I am about to embark on building a home NAS box using OpenSolaris with
ZFS.

Currently I have a chassis that will hold 16 hard drives, although not in
caddies - down time doesn't bother me if I need to switch a drive, probably
could do it running anyways just a bit of a pain. :)

I am after suggestions of motherboard, CPU and ram.  Basically I want ECC ram
and at least two PCI-E x4 channels.  As I want to run 2 x AOC-USAS_L8i cards
for 16 drives.

I want something with a bit of guts but over the top.  I know the HCL is there
but I want to see what other people are using in their solutions.