On 09/25/09 11:08 AM, Travis Tabbal wrote:
... haven't heard if it's a known
bug or if it will be fixed in the next version...

Out of courtesy to our host, Sun makes some quite competitive
X86 hardware. I have absolutely no idea how difficult it is
to buy Sun machines retail, but it seems they might be missing
out on an interesting market - robust and scalable SOHO servers
for the DYI gang - certainly OEMS like us recommend them,
although there doesn't seem to be a single-box file+application
server in the lineup which might be a disadvantage to some.

Also, assuming Oracle keeps the product line going, we plan to
give them a serious look when we finally have to replace those
sturdy old SPARCS. Unfortunately there aren't entry level SPARCs
in the lineup, but sadly there probably isn't a big enough market
to justify them and small developers don't need the big iron.

It would be interesting to hear from Sun if they have any specific
recommendations for the use of Suns for the DYI SOHO market; AFAIK
it is the profits from hardware that are going a long way to support
Sun's support of FOSS that we are all benefiting from, and there's
a good bet that OpenSolaris will run well on Sun hardware :-)

Cheers -- Frank