Tim Cook wrote:

>     It appears that one can get more in the way of features out of
>     VMWare Server for free than with ESX, which is seemingly a hook
>     into buying more VMWare stuff.
>
>     I've never looked at Sun xVM, in fact I didn't know it even
>     existed, but I do now. Thank you, I will research this some more!
>
>     The only other variable, I guess, is the future of said
>     technologies given the Oracle takeover? There has been much
>     discussion on how this impacts ZFS, but I'll have to learn how xVM
>     might be affected, if at all.
>

> Quite frankly, I wouldn't let that stop you.  Even if Oracle were to
> pull the plug on xVM entirely (not likely), you could very easily just
> move the VM's back over to *insert your favorite flavor of Linux* or
> Citrix Xen.  Including Unbreakable Linux (Oracle's version of RHEL).

I remember now why Xen was a no-go from when I last tested it. I rely on
the 64 bit version of FreeBSD for most of my VM guest machines, and
FreeBSD only supports running as domU on i386 systems. This is a monkey
wrench!

Sorry, just thinking outloud here...

--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians