On 8-Nov-09, at 12:20 PM, Joe Auty wrote:

Tim Cook wrote:

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 2:03 AM, besson3c <j...@netmusician.org> wrote:

Why not just convert the VM's to run in virtualbox and run Solaris directly on the hardware?

That's another possibility, but it depends on how Virtualbox stacks up against VMWare Server. At this point a lot of planning would be necessary to switch to something else, although this is possibility.

How would Virtualbox stack up against VMWare Server? Last I checked it doesn't have a remote console of any sort, which would be a deal breaker. Can I disable allocating virtual memory to Virtualbox VMs? Can I get my VMs to auto boot in a specific order at runlevel 3? Can I control my VMs via the command line?

Yes you certainly can. Works well, even for GUI based guests, as there is vm-level VRDP (VNC/Remote Desktop) access as well as whatever remote access the guest provides.

I thought Virtualbox was GUI only, designed for Desktop use primarily?

Not at all. Read up on VBoxHeadless.

--Toby

This switch will only make sense if all of this points to a net positive.

--Tim

--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians