Tim Cook wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 2:03 AM, besson3c <j...@netmusician.org
> <mailto:j...@netmusician.org>> wrote:
>
>     I'm entertaining something which might be a little wacky, I'm
>     wondering what your general reaction to this scheme might be :)
>

>     I would like to invest in some sort of storage appliance, and I
>     like the idea of something I can grow over time, something that
>     isn't tethered to my servers (i.e. not direct attach), as I'd like
>     to keep this storage appliance beyond the life of my servers.
>     Therefore, a RAID 5 or higher type setup in a separate 2U chassis
>     is attractive to me.
>
>     I do a lot of virtualization on my servers, and currently my VM
>     host is running VMWare Server. It seems like the way forward is
>     with software based RAID with sophisticated file systems such as
>     ZFS or BTRFS rather than a hardware RAID card and "dumber" file
>     system. I really like what ZFS brings to the table in terms of
>     RAID-Z and more, so I'm thinking that it might be smart to skip
>     getting a hardware RAID card and jump into using ZFS.
>
>     The obvious problem at this point is that ZFS is not available for
>     Linux yet, and BTRFS is not yet ready for production usage. So,
>     I'm exploring some options. One option is to just get that RAID
>     card and reassess all of this when BTRFS is ready, but the other
>     option is the following...
>
>     What if I were to run a FreeBSD VM and present it several vdisks,
>     format these as ZFS, and serve up ZFS shares through this VM? I
>     realize that I'm getting the sort of userland conveniences of ZFS
>     this way since the host would still be writing to an EXT3/4
>     volume, but on the other hand perhaps these conveniences and other
>     benefits would be worthwhile? What would I be missing out on,
>     despite no assurances of the same integrity given the underlying
>     EXT3/4 volume?
>
>     What do you think, would setting up a VM solely for hosting ZFS
>     shares be worth my while as a sort of bridge to BTRFS? I realize
>     that I'd have to allocate a lot of RAM to this VM, I'm prepared to
>     do that.
>

>     Is this idea retarded? Something you would recommend or do
>     yourself? All of this convenience is pointless if there will be
>     significant problems, I would like to eventually serve production
>     servers this way. Fairly low volume ones, but still important to me.
>

> Why not just convert the VM's to run in virtualbox and run Solaris
> directly on the hardware?

That's another possibility, but it depends on how Virtualbox stacks up
against VMWare Server. At this point a lot of planning would be
necessary to switch to something else, although this is possibility.

How would Virtualbox stack up against VMWare Server? Last I checked it
doesn't have a remote console of any sort, which would be a deal
breaker. Can I disable allocating virtual memory to Virtualbox VMs? Can
I get my VMs to auto boot in a specific order at runlevel 3? Can I
control my VMs via the command line? I thought Virtualbox was GUI only,
designed for Desktop use primarily?

This switch will only make sense if all of this points to a net positive.

--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians