On 19-Dec-09, at 11:34 AM, Colin Raven wrote:

When we are children, we are told that sharing is good. In the case or references, sharing is usually good, but if there is a huge amount of sharing, then it can take longer to delete a set of files since the mutual references create a "hot spot" which must be updated sequentially.

Y'know, that is a GREAT point. Taking this one step further then - does that also imply that there's one "hot spot" physically on a disk that keeps getting read/written to?

Also, copy-on-write generally means that physical location of updates is ever-changing.

--T