> The (one and only) point that I was making was that - like backups -
> snapshots should be kept "elsewhere" whether by using zfs-send, or zipping
> up the whole shebang and ssh'ing it someplace...."elsewhere" meaning beyond
> the pool. Rolling 15 minute and hourly snapshots....no, they stay local, but
> daily/weekly/monthly snapshots get stashed "offsite" (off-box). Apart from
> anything else, it's one heck of a spacesaver - in the long run.

I guess that depends on what you're doing with them and how big a part they
play in your operations.  On my SAN, I don't roll my snapshots off-site,
because I'm comfortable losing those snapshots and still being able to recover
backup data, and I'd rather not duplicate storage infrastructure just to have
snapshots around.  I consider the snapshots a "nice-to-have" that saves me time
periodically, but not critical to my infrastructure, therefore it doesn't make
sense to spend the time/money to send them off-site - if something bad happens
where I cannot recover snapshots, I'm probably going to be spending a lot of
time recovering, and the snapshots probably aren't that useful to me.  However,
if the snapshots are critical to your operations and your ability to service
user requests, then, yes, putting them onto a secondary storage location is a
good idea.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.